Tuesday, 28 February 2012

After yesterday's tutorial I am happy with the progress I'm making in terms of developing my ideas, but I feel I am struggling for a concrete site layout, or something solid to design a building around. This week I really need to sit and concentrate on justification for placements.

David provided some helpful injections of creativity, narrowing the functions down to "billboard, workshops and education", and I am now proposing a "route" through the site, as an information exchange, or billboard. From this route the visitors and the public will be able to view all activity in the Institute, promoting a healthy sharing of ideas and transforming the perception of the site from one of industrial secrecy to one of social harmony. 
A large factor of my schedule is an area, or space, for incubators to be personalised by the youth, or the public,  before they are removed for site installation. This area needs careful thought, as a fair amount of indoor storage will be needed too. Alongside the "workshops" will run a "library", or an education/research zone, which I think should comprise of "redundant" incubators that have returned from site. They can be used as points of reference [good and bad ones!] for the workshops and for the public to examine how the scheme works. In this way the library also becomes a little like an exhibition. 



David also suggested that lifting the more definite private areas of the schedule up a level would allow free circulation below, a concept I intend to explore this week.

I need to find a clear and transparent diagram or modelling method to convey my ideas and proposals, but again, am happy with the overall project.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good already- the sectional jumps up are helpful- you define the ground level as public & accessable. "Seeing anew" is still there, if you are brave enough in your moves!
    Percpetion is also a perspective- you are looking for unexpected angle to things...

    ReplyDelete